NATIONAL WOMEN’S HISTORY MUSEUM ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COALITION
Twenty-three National Organizations declare support for Museum’s Mission and Proposed Site
November 3, 2003 – The National Women’s History Museum (NWHM) announced that twenty-three national organizations have joined forces to support the mission of the Museum and work with its leaders to acquire a site for a permanent Museum near the National Mall in Washington, DC. The NWHM National Coalition members, comprised of leading women’s service and professional organizations, represent constituencies reaching over 8 million members.
The purposes of the National Coalition are to:
- Support the mission of the National Women’s History Museum.
- Support the efforts to acquire a permanent site near the National Mall in Washington, DC.
- Engage in communication with the NWHM and the other organizations to increase the visibility and public awareness of their respective mission and activities.
- Seek opportunities for cooperation and collaboration in programs, educational outreach and exhibitions.
NWHM National President Susan B. Jollie hailed the creation and support of the Coalition.
“Historically, women’s organizations have banded together to effect change and progress at all levels of American life. We are privileged to have these outstanding national organizations support our mission and our efforts to acquire a site in Washington, DC. We share a vision that the legacy of women’s achievements and contributions will inspire generations of men and women alike.”
A number of other national professional and service organizations are currently in the approval process to become members of the Coalition. As of November 2003, the following organizations are officially NWHM National Coalition members:
- American Association of University Women
- American Society of Public Administration – Section on Women in Public Administration
- Association of Junior Leagues International
- Business and Professional Women/USA
- Delta Kappa Gamma International Society
- General Federation of Women’s Clubs
- Hadassah – The Women’s Zionist Organization of America
- League of Women Voters
- National Association for Female Executives
- National Association of Women Business Owners
- National Congress of Black Women
- National Council of Negro Women
- National Education Association
- National Federation of Black Women Business Owners
- National Foundation of Women Legislators, Inc.
- National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
- National Woman’s Party
- Native American Women’s Business Council
- Women in Aerospace
- Women in Defense
- Women In Military Service For America Memorial Foundation
- Women Presidents’ Organization
Information on the National Women’s History Museum and contact information for NWHM National Coalition Organizations are available on the NWHM Web site www.nwhm.org. For information about how a national organization can become a member of the Coalition, please contact Susan B. Jollie, National President, or Becky L. Schergens, National Advisor, at the headquarters office, 703-813-6209 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.