by Elissa Blattman, Project Assistant
Have you ever found yourself watching vintage educational videos on YouTube? Some of them seem quite silly and cheesy today, but they were intended to be serious teaching tools for teenagers and young adults. Here are five of our favorite ones on the web. Do you remember watching any of these back in the day?
1. On breaking out of a dateless slump: “You know, grooming and cleanliness, and letting the boys know you’re around – those things are all important. But it’s the friendliness and interest, and helpfulness that really counts.”
2. On dating: “You’re different from other girls…You’re smarter. You’re almost like a man”
3. On women in the workplace: “You’ve got a new bearings inspector who happens to be a woman. You need someone and there isn’t a man available. It seems to me that whether the gal adds up to trouble or not is pretty much up to you.”
4. On dinner time with the family: “The women of this family seem to feel that they owe it to the men of the family to look relaxed, rested, and attractive at dinner time.”
5. On girls taking precautions for their safety: “Judy hadn’t done anything wrong, she’d only been careless. Careless about whom she trusted.”