Maud Wood Park lobbied for the passage of the nineteenth amendment and continued lobbying for social reforms as the president of the League of Women Voters (LWV). A great organizer and lobbyist, Park pioneered the “front door lobby,” a direct approach to lobbying that symbolized the idealism of woman suffrage.
She became active in woman suffrage while attending Radcliffe College and continued her activities outside of campus. In her college years, Park joined the Massachusetts Woman Suffrage Association as well as many other local organizations committed to woman suffrage, including a College Equal Suffrage League (CESL). With the sanction of the NAWSA, Park founded chapters of the CESL throughout the Northeast. Her successful lobbying career extended to her roles in the LWV and the Women’s Joint Congressional Committee with the passage of the Sheppard-Towner Maternity and Infancy Protection Act of 1921 and the Cable Act of 1922, which granted independent citizenship for married women. Park gathered materials which formed the foundation for the Woman’s Rights Collection of the Schlesinger Library. Park used her talents not only to gain passage of many bills for social reform but also to preserve history for future generations of women.